Bonaparte Indian Band - GIS Data Management Services
GIS Data Management Services
Bonaparte Indian Band
2016 to Present
Cache Creek, B.C.
The Bonaparte Indian Band (BIB) Natural Resource Management (NRM) department was facing information management challenges which identified the following needs;
- - To create a database that held existing and new documents, reports and spatial data together to allow easier data retrieval
- - To assess the current state of GIS data in the Bonaparte Indian Band (BIB) Natural Resource Management (NRM) department
- - To determine immediate work priorities, including review and organization of existing data, establishing essential base data, and adopt recommended structure and processes to help with GIS work flow
- Inventory Existing GIS Datasets
- Design GIS Data Model and GIS Folder Structure
- Work Flow Diagram
- Assemble GIS Essential Data Package
- Work Flow Training
Inventory Existing GIS Datasets
Certes inventoried and collected all GIS datasets that existed on the NRM digital files (CDs & USB drives) and the BIB Server. Certes travelled to BIB and documented all data on the server once installed by Kamloops Computer Centre.
Design GIS Data Model and GIS Folder Structure
To support the ongoing storage and organization of geographic data, Certes worked with NRM staff to establish a GIS software package that is used to access, analyse and map BIB NRM spatial data. Certes also worked with the NRM staff to setup a template folder structure that will be used for spatial and aspatial data that helps with the ongoing consultation, referral and land management tasks of the NRM department. This folder structure organizes data based on the source and use, and provide a logical spot to store and retrieve each type of data.
Work Flow Diagram
Certes created a GIS data management work flow diagram illustrating procedures to handle incoming GIS datasets. This diagram helps the user to determine where to place incoming data and to manage versions throughout common GIS tasks.
Assemble GIS Essential Data Package
In order to support any mapping or analysis requests, basic data describing the traditional territory was downloaded and organized. Certes worked with BIB NRM to facilitate a data exchange agreement with the Government of BC to allow BIB NRM access to base data readily available in the Government of BC Land resource data warehouse.
Work Flow Training
Certes travelled to BIB and installed the BIB GIS database, the data structure and the data folders. Certes provided the NRM staff with training on the new folder structure and GIS data management work flow procedures.